cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680i help…" error connecting to drive"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I've just installed the new toolbox and hit the latest roadblock. Turns out my 680i motherboard identifies all SATA drives as SCSI, which was pretty common for older motherboard BIOS. It never made any difference to operation or performance until now…the Toolbox will not work with a hard drive identified as SCSI. The Toolbox recognizes the different drives and gives me different choices for the SSD vs. the rotary drives, but all functions are grayed-out.

So I can't use TRIM because the 680i is not AHCI compatible, and I can't use Toolbox to maintain the SSD because it hits a SCSI flag and grays-out (even though it does recognize the SSD).

Has anybody found a way to resolve this? I've looked through pages of Google links and tech support forums and found the issue talked about a lot but not a resolution. Typically the answer is that everyone lives with the SCSI-misidentification because it never made any difference whether Windows declared the drive SATA or SCSI. Until now.

Is anyone else's 680i working with the Toolbox?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i got the same problem with nforce 780i, i hope someone can help us. I can't use trim and optimizer tools. I can't believe that intel has here no solution!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

I ran into the same problem with my Asus nForce 650. There was another response from BorderShot with the solution. Here it is:

Alright, I got this to work by changing the driver from the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" to the generic "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". In Vista, Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, select "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller", right click, Properties, Driver, Update Driver, Browse My Computer, Let me pick from a list, and then select the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". After reboot, I was able to use the SSD Toolbox.

I didnt have the Nvidia nForce serial ata controller driver so i just decided to update the standard duel pci ide controller and rebooted anyways BUT it did NOT help at all. SO I went to nvidia's site to download the lastest nForce driver which did install the nforce serial controller then I followed BorderShot's instruction and it worked like a charm! I am now able to see and TRIM the drive.

Let me know if you have any questions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your feedback. I did the same, but still have the problem. I think the problem is, that my Devices on Win7 are as SCSI Devices declared and SCIS devices are not supported by Intel. Could you look at your Devices? Are they as SCSI delcared?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i installed nforce driver, then i replaced it with Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, and now it works. Thanks for your help Palo127.