cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10, Slow Performance running on 750 PCIe SSD

CShor1
New Contributor

I just built a computer and I'm having a great deal of lag when doing just normal every day things in windows.

Computer:

Asus Maximus VIII Extreme.

Intel 6700k - Liquid Cooled.

3600 DDR4 - extra air cooling.

EVGA 980 ti hybrid - Liquid cooled.

Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB - Windows 10 Clean installed via USB UEFI boot setup

SAMSUNG 850 SSD 250GB - Windows installed from 7.0 to 10.00 via free update.

Installed the 750 SSD on the 4th PCIe 2x/4x slot and made sure it was locked onto 4x. This deactivated the shared SATA6 port on my board but that's handled as everything is using the other channels. The SSD is the only thing on that channel and running at full speed as far as I can tell at around 2,600mbps with benchmarks.

The Graphics card is in Slot one on the 16x channel, so it shouldn't be affecting anything as it's also on it's not being shared.

That's probably all the pertinent information on my setup. Everything is running and cool.

When I boot off the Samsung SSD. the system runs great. Nice and smooth as is expected.

When I boot off the Intel PCIe SSD...

1) it take s little longer to load which I wasn't expecting. maybe an extra 10 to 15 seconds or 30%?. (I've been reading this may be expected)

2) The main issue is that it lags and stutters a lot of the time. Moving windows around and such... they trail behind and catch up. stuttering and creating lines (tearing) across the graphics. Programs lagging and taking along time to load up. just a general feeling that the computer is struggling to do even simple things when I put off the Intel SSD.

I already downloaded the toolbox version 3.3.3. latest drivers are installed.

Bios is up to date to the latest version on the Motherboard and Hard Drive Firmware.

All PCIe slots are running on 3.0

Any direction on this? I can't fathom how it's working so poorly... I'm not seeing this complaint as I search the internet or forums...

4 REPLIES 4

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello DieselFuel,

What did you use to get the bench-marking? Please take a look a the http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/intel_ssd_750_series_evaluation_guide_332075... Intel® SSD 750 Series - Performance Guide - You may find useful information here as well: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/000005797.html Before You Buy for Solid State Drives

Did you install the NVMe* drivers? If so, please make sure you are running the latest version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-... Download Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Family for NVMe Drivers - Also, if you could, please provide us the SMART Details so we can take a look at it. We were wondering if you could use the PCIe* SSD without the GPU.

CShor1
New Contributor

Good morning,

I will run through the performance guide as soon as I get home this evening. But the speed tests seem in line with the specifications provided by Intel and occasionally above the estimates.

I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of the read and write.

The latest NVMe* drivers are installed.

Firmware is up to date on all components.

Yesterday I read on some places that during the install if other drives are installed, windows may confuse partitions on other SSDs, so I may or may not have fixed the situation by doing the following.

I took the time to erase both my Samsung Pro SSD, and the PCIe 750 SSD.

I then installed Windows 7 onto the Intel 750 PCIe drive after a full format and erase of all the partitions.

I did this while no other drive was installed at all and it went well. System seems very smooth and snappy.

*Note: it did require a second cd drive in my machine as the board I use has USB 3.0 only, and the drivers are not on the windows 7.0 install disc, thus inactive and useless.

without another HDD or a USB thumb drive to pull the driver's from I was unable to load the latest NVMe* drivers during the install process in order to see the drive.

I then installed windows 10 separately onto the Samsung SSD. It's also running very well.

During this install I turned off the 750 by deactivating that channel using the dim switches on my board so it was not confused. this was just easier than unplugging the card.

Windows 10 runs great on the SATA SSD.

Windows 7 runs great on the PCIe 4x slot.

The lag seems to have vanished, but I'm very hesitant to install windows 10 onto my Intel 750 PCIe SSD again.

I will note that the PCIe drive appeared to be sharing partitions on my old SSD. As the computer booted fine from the 750 after installation of windows, but when I originally was having issues I formatted the Samsung SSD, and in doing so the Intel 750 card became Unbootable. I couldn't figure out how 750 would be affected by formatting another drive, but I think it was the installation of windows 10 while another copy was in the computer in a separate drive and some lettering issues. It kept saying there were missing files but would not allow me to repair or install windows onto the 750 any more.

I'll post further after more testing tonight and tomorrow for confirmation in case this would help someone else.

If I'm feeling brave I'll unhook the drives again and try for a clean install of 10 on the 750... or an upgrade perhaps.

I think the issue was more with windows and less with the hardware.

CShor1
New Contributor

Well as soon as I got home and started working on the computer again the lag returned. Nothing running or eating up CPU or file transferring. No heavy downloading or work flow. just looking at data and surfing the internet getting lags and hang ups. freezing for a 6 to 7 seconds when trying to move a file from one folder to another. about 100 MB.

Oddly... I don't see the normal S.M.A.R.T. Data... is that normal?

Intel

Samsung

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

DieselFuel,

Did you have the opportunitiy to try a secure erase and reload the OS to see what happens?