cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one is a better SSD from Intel DC P3600 1.2TB and Intel DC P4510 1TB?

AP20
New Contributor

I have two options as a primary boot SSD for my CAD workstation:

1. Intel P3600 1.2TB, and

2. Intel P4510 1TB.

Which one is better in terms of reliability, versatility, durability and performance? (Price is no issue..)

As per specs; P3600 is 20nm MLC and P4510 is 64-Layer 3D TLC. Which one can hold data longer and intact without power and why?

I appreciate if anyone can explain the details and help me to decide. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi AP20,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

There are some points to consider between these 2 SSD models. A great tool to compare them is ARK, please check the following site to see the main differences between these drives: https://ark.intel.com/compare/122573,80991

The first thing to notice is that the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series is discontinued according to ARK, and the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series is a newer model and it’s still in production.

Regarding to performance, the Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series has a sequential read and write up to 2850MB/s and 1100MB/s, while the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series has a sequential read and write up to 2600MB/s and 1250MB/s. So in this category, the first one has better performance in reading tasks while the second one has better performance in writing tasks. However, the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series has better latency and better random read/write performance, so in general terms the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series has better performance which is expected as it’s a newer model based on newer technology (TLC).

However, since the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series is based on MLC technology, it has better endurance than the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series. For example, the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series has an endurance rate of 6.57PBW which means that you can write up to 6.57PB until the drive needs to be replaced. The Intel® SSD P4510 Series on the other hand, has an endurance rate of 1.92PBW which means that you can write up to 1.92PB before the drive needs to be replaced. If we compare these values, you would be able to write in the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series almost 3.5 times the data that you would write in the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series.

In terms of reliability, both drives have the same numbers based on ARK so there is no difference here. Both will hold the data the same time.

Having said this, the main factors to consider would be the performance and the endurance rate. If you prefer a better performance, the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series would be the best option, but if you prefer better endurance, the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series would be better.

This highly depends on the workload and the requirements of your application. So it’s up to you which model will be better for you.

I hope that the link above helps you to compare the drives in other aspects.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi AP20,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

There are some points to consider between these 2 SSD models. A great tool to compare them is ARK, please check the following site to see the main differences between these drives: https://ark.intel.com/compare/122573,80991

The first thing to notice is that the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series is discontinued according to ARK, and the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series is a newer model and it’s still in production.

Regarding to performance, the Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series has a sequential read and write up to 2850MB/s and 1100MB/s, while the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series has a sequential read and write up to 2600MB/s and 1250MB/s. So in this category, the first one has better performance in reading tasks while the second one has better performance in writing tasks. However, the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series has better latency and better random read/write performance, so in general terms the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series has better performance which is expected as it’s a newer model based on newer technology (TLC).

However, since the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series is based on MLC technology, it has better endurance than the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series. For example, the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series has an endurance rate of 6.57PBW which means that you can write up to 6.57PB until the drive needs to be replaced. The Intel® SSD P4510 Series on the other hand, has an endurance rate of 1.92PBW which means that you can write up to 1.92PB before the drive needs to be replaced. If we compare these values, you would be able to write in the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series almost 3.5 times the data that you would write in the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series.

In terms of reliability, both drives have the same numbers based on ARK so there is no difference here. Both will hold the data the same time.

Having said this, the main factors to consider would be the performance and the endurance rate. If you prefer a better performance, the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series would be the best option, but if you prefer better endurance, the Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series would be better.

This highly depends on the workload and the requirements of your application. So it’s up to you which model will be better for you.

I hope that the link above helps you to compare the drives in other aspects.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi AP20,

I would like to know if the information above answered your inquiry, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Regards,

Diego V.