cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 320 --> the dreaded 8 MB firmware bug is still there unresolved

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is a follow-up to my previous post.

I recently experienced a sudden BSOD with the 300 GB version of Intel SSD 320 and the drive ended up defunct with the dreaded 8 MB bug.

Now, what is really concerning is that I had the very latest and greatest FW upgrade installed - the version that Intel claims resolved the 8 MB bug.

Obviously, the latest FW resolved nothing and it seems any SSD 320 out there is still prone to this catastrophic failure, which can happen any time for no specific reason. This is the drive that Intel touts as having "almost" enterprise-class reliability.

The problem has been known since 2011, the SSD 320 failure reports continue showing up on the Internet even now in 2013 - my case is only one of them. I'm just wondering how Intel can continue selling these drives knowing it is a bomb that is bound to detonate with a very high degree of certainty over time for everyone who buys them.

At this point, the SSD 320 drives seem practically unusable from a reliability perspective. IMHO, warranty replacement does not resolve the situation. Unless the root cause of the bug is identified and a truly working fix is published, the only reasonable resolution from Intel would be to pull the devices from the stores, provide a full purchase price reimbursement to everyone who is under warranty and desires so and be done with it.

I would be interested to see Intel's position on this...

5 REPLIES 5

CBrei
New Contributor II

Oh come on.....

it won't get the truth by repeating it again and again.