cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s3500 on a laptop

PPaul15
New Contributor II

Hi Intel, I am using an s3500 which I had as a surplus around here. Why not use it on my laptop?

Small issue, ssd gets quite hot. I did change the power PowerGovernorMode to 2, would like to further try my luck with PhyConfig however that is totally undocumented anywhere.Any suggestions how to further tweak this on a laptop usage where airflow is quite low to 0 ?

Attaching isdct info:

- Intel SSD DC S3500 Series PHWL623002AA480QGN -

AccessibleMaxAddressSupported : False

BusType : 11

ControllerCompatibleIDs : PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&REV_04PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03PCI\\VEN_8086&CC_010601PCI\\VEN_8086&CC_0106PCI\\VEN...

ControllerDescription : @oem1.inf,%pci\\ven_8086&dev_8c03&cc_0106.devicedesc%;Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

ControllerID : PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_220E17AA&REV_04\\3&21436425&0&FA

ControllerIDEMode : False

ControllerManufacturer : @oem1.inf,%intel%;Intel Corporation

ControllerService : iaStorA

DIPMEnabled : False

DIPMSupported : False

DevicePath : \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0

DeviceStatus : Healthy

DigitalFenceSupported : False

DownloadMicrocodePossible : True

DriverDescription : Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

DriverMajorVersion : 14

DriverManufacturer : Intel Corporation

DriverMinorVersion : 8

EnduranceAnalyzer : Workload did not induce any wear on the drive. Expected life calculation is invalid. Ensure that workloads run for an hour or more for valid calculations.

ErrorString :

Firmware : D2012370

FirmwareUpdateAvailable : The selected Intel SSD contains current firmware as of this tool release.

HDD : False

IEEE1667Supported : False

Index : 0

Intel : True

IntelGen3SATA : True

IntelNVMe : False

Lun : 0

MaximumLBA : 703282607

ModelNumber : INTEL SSDSC2BB480G4

NativeMaxLBA : 937703087

OEM : Generic

OpalState : Unsupported

PLITestTimeInterval : 10080 minutes

PNPString : SCSI\\DISK&VEN_INTEL&PROD_SSDSC2BB480G4\\4&392C1257&0&000000

PathID : 0

PhyConfig : 1 (Client Settings)

PhySpeed : 6.0 Gbps

PhysicalSectorSize : 4096 bytes

PhysicalSize : 360080695296

PortNumber : 0

PowerGovernorAveragePower : 5000 milliwatts

PowerGovernorBurstPower : 6500 milliwatts

PowerGovernorMode : 2 Low

Product : Wolfsville

ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC S3500 Series

ProductProtocol : ATA

ReadErrorRecoveryTimer : 0

RemoteSecureEraseSupported : False

SCSIPortNumber : 0

SMARTEnabled : True

SMARTSelfTestSupported : True

SSCEnabled : False

SanitizeBlockEraseSupported : True

SanitizeCryptoScrambleSupported : False

SanitizeSupported : False

SataGen1 : True

SataGen2 : True

SataGen3 : True

SataNegotiatedSpeed : 6.0 Gbs

SectorSize : 512

SecurityEnabled : True

SecurityFrozen : True

SecurityLocked : False

SecuritySupported : True

SerialNumber : PHWL623002AA480QGN

TCGSupported : False

TargetID : 0

TemperatureLoggingInterval : 1 minute(s)

TrimSize : 4

TrimSupported : True

WWID : 140701773682724

WriteCacheEnabled : True

WriteCacheReorderingStateEnabled : True

WriteCacheState : 1

WriteCacheSupported : True

WriteErrorRecoveryTimer : 0

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello PRoland,

We understand you have recently installed an Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series on your laptop, and have been experiencing heat problems since.Please keep in mind that the operating temperature range for this SSD is between 0°C and 70°C (32°F to 158°F). While overheating is not normal, it's not entirely unexpected if you're using the drive in a laptop without any airflow. At the end of the day, this is still just a SATA SSD. The main things that keep it apart are it's data protection features, none of which should cause it to operate hotter than a regular consumer drive.I would first recommend making sure that the SATA and power connectors on your laptop are clean and free of debris. As far as adjusting the Power Governor Mode, you should be able to do so using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26575/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?v=t Intel® SSD Data Center Tool.You will find information on the commands required in the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000020016.html ISDCT User Guide, in page 10, 16, and 38. However, I'd like to point out that this may actually work opposite to what you may expect. Setting this to zero will actually remove the power governor feature, meaning the SSD will use more power:"Changes the devices power governor mode settings. Valid values are: • 0: Unconstrained for SATA devices. • 1: Typical (7-watts) for SATA devices. • 2: Low (5-watts) for SATA devices."If you suspect this is an issue with the SSD itself, please provide us with the SMART details for the drive.We do hope this information helps.Best regards,Carlos A.

PPaul15
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos, thank you for the reply. PowerGovernorMode is set to 2 Low not 0, not sure where 0 came from. That was documented so I setup accordingly.

PhyConfig however is missing any explanation. Do you have any info of what that does?SSD temp is 30 degrees Celsius, I don't suspect any problems with the ssds, working fine just trying to see if I can lower the temp a little bit.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello PRoland,

I can relate, colder is always better. Just keep in mind that 30°C is actually not bad, these drives usually run at around 40°C in most applications. There is not much on the user guide as far as PhyConfig goes, I had to do some digging to find out what each setting actually represents. The command itself will be very similar to the one you used to change your power governor mode [isdct.exe set -intelssd (Index|SerialNumber) PhyConfig=(0|1|2)]. These are the setting definitions: • 0: Default enterprise settings. Generally good for most purposes and systems • 1: Client settings. Tighter for shorter signal routes (such as laptops). You might want to try this setting as it may be better for smaller systems with less trace length. • 2: Alternate enterprise settings. Will result in a a larger eye with better use in some servers. It may work well for systems that have long signal paths and multiple connections.Please let us know the results.Best regards,Carlos A.

PPaul15
New Contributor II

Thanks you sir, that was it. Seems reasonable, although I noticed it's quite heavy comparing to 535 for example. Still for laptops people should look into client series