cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Toolbox Optimize on 240GB Intel SSD 520 Results In BSOD

DWund
New Contributor

I've been using a 240GB Intel SSD 520 as my boot drive for about three weeks (Intel RSTe v3.5.1.1009). I have not had any problems with day to day operations and the AS SSD benchmark for the drive is about what I would expect it to be. Yesterday I attempted to optimize the drive using Intel SSD Toolbox v3.1.2. At 85% I got a BSOD that completely froze the system. I did a hard reboot and the system came up without an issue. All of the trim files created by SSD Toolbox were still on the drive. I deleted them manually and attempted to optimize the drive again. The result was the same. Except this time when I restarted the system the SSD boot drive could not be found. The second time I tried to turn the computer on the SSD drive was found and the system booted. I ran SSD Toolbox quick and full diagnostic scans and neither found a problem with the drive. I also ran optimize on an X25-M SSD drive I also have in my system and it completed without a problem.

Although the drive seems to be working fine, the fact that running optimize crashes the system has me concerned with its long-term reliability. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting the problem (or fixing it) would be greatly appreciated.

35 REPLIES 35

DWund
New Contributor

That's excellent news Ken. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am please to say that these new drivers have fixed the Intel SSD optimization crash: "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 12.5.0.1066 WHQL"

I am still not happy that I have to use a hacked version of these driver from a german forum in order for them to install on my ICH9R chipset.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have this problem as well with the Optimizer crashing, both on Dell 3.5.0.1101 and Intel RSTe_3.6.0.1093. (although wondering if I should go back to the Dell RST driver or the Intel RST without the 'e')

How do I get 12.5.0.1066 to install? I get a compatibility error when I run the installer...and now there is a 12.6 version, also fails...

EDIT* Found the hacked 8086-2826_v12601867_mod_for_X79.bin file but still a bit lost. I think I have X79 motherboard since I have an R4 but now what??

I guess my computer works but when I run trim test it tells me trim isn't working, that can't be good for an SSD...thanks for any advice!

[I have a Dell Alienware Aurora R4 that I have installed my Intel 520 240gb (firmware 400i) in as a boot drive (not a clean install, used Easus to copy the boot drive across) and then I have my other two hard drives in a RAID1 array as drive D. ]

EKim11
New Contributor

I have a somewhat similar problem. I run the SSD Optimizer (SSD Toolbox) for my Intel 520 240GB (400i) and after it goes to 100%, it kind of locks up for a minute and I can't open any apps. After the minute the lock up is gone and everything seems to be normal. But this still concerns me and the long term reliability of this SSD.

During the lock up, my hard drive activity light glows continuously until the lock up is gone. I tried the optimizer with and w/out buffer flushing and I have disabled hibernation completely. I also don't let my SSD go to "rest" in the Power Saving options.

Should I RMA or just leave it? I bought an OEM version with a cardboard box and product labels on the box (NCIX). Do warranties apply to OEM products, too?

Hi Ebombzor,

I suggest you contact Intel® Customer Support for help on your issue. You can find contact information at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport.