cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 400GB PCIe Wear Leveling Count dropping fast/quickly

jgaul
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have (and LOVE) my Intel 750 400GB PCIe. I use it as my boot OS drive on Win10 64bit for the past 8 or so months, I was very surprised to see that the "estimated life remaining" / wear leveling SMART count has already dropped to 88%. I also noticed that it has quickly dropped from 90% to 88% in the past 3 weeks with no major increase in writes on my end.

I think my write workload is pretty light: aside from win10 VM being on the drive I also left 20GB unformated / free (ie over provisioning)

I have tons of experience and usage of various SSD (most intel), ie several 24 x SSD rackmount servers of all types of intel SSD models (some enterprise, some consumer) so i have a decent feel for how wear level endurance decreases over time, and in fact this 750 pcie has dropped the fastest of any SSD ive ever seen.

According to my calculations (from the SMART data host bytes written) ive only written about 8 TB of data which isnt a ton for 8-10 months of boot drive type workload. CrystalMark Disk Info also shows 7900GB written / 12.8TB read

Can anyone shed some light on this? or maybe my calculations of data written is incorrect?

Thanks!

PS / FYI: i did install / update to the intel supplied nvme drivers as soon as win10 was installed

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

James232323,

Thanks for letting us know about this, we are sure our support team will provide you with further assistance on this and will take care of it.Please let us know if any other help is required from us here.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

James232323,

We would like to know if you were able to get a resolution from our support team?We will be waiting for your response.NC

JLeon17
New Contributor

Hi, It was a long process, but just this past weekend I was able to get an RMA'd SSD 750 that i was able to swap with my bad/problem 750 SSD and they charged my CC (750$ + 25$ fee, although they waved the 25$ fee bc it took a few more days than normal for them to get back to me -- I will ofcourse get teh 750$ CC charge refunded once they receive my bad 750 via return shipping).

However, I'm pretty disappointed to see, that this NEW RMAed 750 has already dropped from 100 Wear Leveling count to now 97 in 7-10 days of use.. again same system (win10) not much write activity (624 GB Host Write , 760 Host Read .... keep in mind about 280GB of those writes came from me running the Intel SSD toolbox's Full Diagnostic Scan)...so we are talking 3% of 127 TB should be about 4TB of writes, and ive gone though that in 400-600GB of writes ((

For Erase cycles im showing Min: 2 , Max: 104, Avg: 49

I do know the unit they sent me Had firmware from 2 x updates ago (i did update its firmware, before i did antying so that i matched the bad 750 i was sending back).

This is pretty disappointing... additionally i will be calling the RMA team tomorow, as they received my UPS returned RMA card on 9/12/16 (this past monday) yet they have not refunded the 750$ to my credit card yet (i checked a few hours ago). and i need them to do that before i hit the end of my CC cycle or i'll be stuck paying the 750$ , only to get it refunded next month.

This is sad because i love LOVE intel products (this is first real issue ive had whtih any intel products).. I just 2 weeks ago ordered 24 x 1 TB Intel Enterprise SSDs for a client server build im doing (i had free reign on the parts and easily could have gone with HGST or Samsung Enterprise SSDs for thsi build, but went with intel bc of my history with them)..

Maybe i need to look at getting a P3700 PCIe enterprise...people are selling those used for ~ 200-400$ now

Attached is my ssd toolbox CSV export from thsi NEW 750 pcie @ 97 life remaining.

Im also attaching a ssd toolbox CSV export from 5 days ago when the WE was at 98 .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello James232323,

We are concerned that the new SSD you received is already showing 97% wear out in a week. This is definitely not normal and as far as we can tell, you use this drive as a regular use, correct?You need to keep in mind, this is a consumer drive and not enterprise, but taking a look to the logs, it does not seem to be overwritten.We strongly recommend to check this with the support department and check for further options.Regards,NC

JLeon17
New Contributor

I have been trying since you made this post to open a new support case at

https://customercare.intel.com/ics_create_environment_details https://customercare.intel.com/

but i keep getting this whenever i hit submit (after filling out all the fields and typing up my long explination and uploading 2 x attachments (ive tried to submit 6 or 7 times now, both early and late yesterday and today as well:

System Unavailable

Intel Customer Support Service Request Management is unavailable. We are actively working to resolve the system issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience.

- Intel Customer Support Team

I really love Intel products, but this past month dealing with Intel support has been an absolute NIGHTMARE.