cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test an Intel SSD

jrmwalsh
New Contributor

I have an Intel SSD 320 Series 160 GB SSD.

I had it installed in a 2007 Macbook running an early version of OSX (Snow Leopard). I set it up to dual boot OSX and Linux Mint 18.3

After working well for a couple of months the Macbook would boot properly to OSX but it failed to run applications. It would hang.

I ran Mac OSX's disk repair and it reported that it repaired a "minor" file system error. After that it would run and start applications.

But I wonder if the SSD is faulty and I want to know how to test it.

I tried downloading Intel's SSD Toolbox but the links did not work.

I have a Windows 7 machine on which I can test this SSD.

Relevant  model numbers etc follow. I have also attached an image of the SSD label

------------

Intel SSD 320 Series 160GB

ISN: CVPR14600B3516QOGN

SA: G33021-603

PBA: E75402-601

LBA 312,581,808

Made in China         WWN: 5001517BB2736F97

Model: SSDSA2BW160G3 2.5"

3Gb/s SATA SSD 160G 5V 1A

-------

I really just want to know how to test the drive to find out if it is reliable or not, or if it can be fixed, or if it is a hopeless case and I should just throw it away.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

I know one other thing you could try.  If you can determine when the Toolbox was on the Intel website and operational you could go on the Internet Wayback machine and see if they stored the site.  Might not work, but I know other people said it worked for them with similar problems!

Thanks but this does not sound very promising.

I did as you suggested and downloaded SSD Toolbox from the site you recommended already.

It was Intel SSD Toolbox version 3.5.15. It installs and runs. It just does not detect my Intel SSD.

Are you suggesting that a different version of SSD Toolbox might work? And if so which version?

And I don't have any idea of how I could find out which version I should try next, or how to determine when it might have been on Intel's website.

Also, considering the SSD is only worth $20-$30 it seems like a poor use of time to go through all these experimental steps that might or might not work, and hoping to find aversion of Intel Toolbox that might work.

Does anybody out there know the answer?

I'm hoping to get real information and eliminate the guesswork.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, jrmwalsh.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 320 Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel® Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.

We will not close this thread, and you can still post and share your findings with the community. If you need assistance related to another Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread, and please submit a new question. We will no longer monitor this thread.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

intros2010tg
New Contributor

I think we should get more testing software solutions for SSDs.

intros2010tg
New Contributor

JosafathB, thanks for sharing the link, anyway. I've seen a lot of nice services for testing, by the way. And you know what, even if there would be a lack of good testing solutions and professionals, you can always ask for a help from professionals, like these ( weblink: https://upplabs.com/services/quality-engineering-testing/ ). They know for sure how to resolve such problems and how to establish testing procedure in any dev project.