cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

JMocn
New Contributor

Hardware:

Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

Intel SSD 520 Series 180GB

When running Optimizer and Quick Diagnostic scan no problems.

Full Diagnostic scan will result in error:

Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

What to do?

9 REPLIES 9

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Alexey.Dr,

This type of behavior can be caused by different reasons: corrupted file system, connection problems (port, cable), faulty drive, memory problems, etc.

Our previous recommendations can help you discard some of the common causes.

Please keep in mind that you may http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support to engage a support engineer in your region, and we will be able to assist.

Regards,

Jonathan B.

ADr
New Contributor

Dear Jonathan!

I am sure that problem is in the hardware. Data fault appears in exact same place. That cant have place because of cable connection or memory problems.Memory is OK. Cable is OK also.

I suppose that bad blocks on the SSD should me marked or relocated by the drive itself, not by the chkdsk utility. But there is no such activity on my X25 drive.

So, maybe there is any other tools to diagnose drive and force internal software to work properly?

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Alexey.Dr,

The Full Diagnostic scan from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26306/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox performs two tests:

- Read Scan - checks every logical block address (LBA) for READ errors.

- Data Integrity Scan - uses free space to write random data and read it back to ensure data

integrity

If the full scan does not complete, you can use Windows* Check disk utility to scan and repare file system errors, as you mentioned, the SSD has mechanisms to detect bad blocks and reallocate the data. Due to the nature of the test (read and write from drive) it can be affected by bad cables and memory issues in the computer as well.

The best way to diagnose any hardware problems in the SSD itself is to review the SMART details, that can be done with the toolbox as well.

If you would like us to help with that, please export the drive details, you can access this function on the home screen, and click Export. Then you can attach the resulting .CSV file to this thread using the Advanced Editor options.

For more information, please check the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/ssdc/hpssd/sb/intel_ssd_toolbox_3_3_0_user_... Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox User Guide.

It is important to mention that the http://ark.intel.com/products/series/86063/Legacy-Consumer-SSDs Intel® SSD X25 Series is currently End of Life, we would expect these drives to have reached their expected lifespan by now.

Regards,

Jonathan B.

ADr
New Contributor

Dear jonathan_intel

I have 16 relocated blocks on drive.

Fullscan stops at 30% with error, mentioned earlier. Reading scan is all ok. Drive have 89% life remainig.

Chkdsk resets system after some time of checking and there no any logs stored in windows application event.

Sometime my systemhang and become unresponsive just after the start-up.

I have attached my log.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Alexey.Dr,

The only 2 things found in the log are the ones you mentioned, 16 Re-allocated Sectors and Media Wearout indicator at 90. If the amount of re-allocated sectors does not increase periodically, you may be able to use the drive for some more time; however, it is always a best practice to keep a backup of the data, and if possible, use a drive in optimum condition as boot drive.

Please take into account that this drive was part of the first generation of Intel® SSD's. It is past its expected lifespan, and this specific unit is actually out of warranty since 2013.

The SSD is starting to show its wear, however, it may still work for some time. You would need to perform further testing to discard or confirm the culprit for the system reboots and lockups. Other common causes for this behavior may be OS problems, faulty SATA port and cable, failing applications, viruses, corrupted drivers, bad memory modules/slots, etc.

Regards,

Jonathan.