cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Marvell 9128 and run AHCI Mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If I disable the Marvell controller on the DX79SR motherboard and run AHCI Mode. Will the port still run at 6Gb?

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for that. While you were confused a bit, I could tell you were trying, and just not some kid posting, "... my PC sux, what's wrong!".

The Marvell, ASMedia, etc, add-on SATA controller chipsets are a pet peeve of mine. They qualify (somehow) as SATA III, but their performance is poor. Then mother board manufactures claim they are "6Gb/s" capable, when in fact they are connected to one PCIe lane, whose known speed is 5Gb/s. Next, those chips can only be connected to ONE PCIe lane, by design! Marvell states that in their literature.There are one or two chipsets they make that apparently can be connected to more than one PCIe lane, but no one uses them. Talk about false advertising, and it's been like that for years, since the X58 board days.

Just to drive you more crazy (sorry), there are a couple of X79 boards now that have built in LSI RAID controller chips. They use SAS connections, not SATA, but I believe they give you adapter cables. ASRock makes one, and I think Gigabyte does too. How well do they work? I have no idea, they are quite new. One review I saw did not say they are the new best thing, the performance did not surpass the Intel SATA 6Gb/s controller ports.

Hang in there and good luck! If you need I/O performance above all else, don't go for the super expensive CPUs, like the $500+ 2011's, that won't help you. The ~$300 Ivy Bridge CPUs have more computing power than most of us will ever use, and their SATA chipsets are just as good (and the drivers are better.) The next year or two may finally provide the hardware you need, more than two real SATA 6 Gb/s ports, SSDs using the new SATA Express standard (plug into PCIe x 4, etc, slots), and newer, faster NAND storage chips in SSDs.