cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant enable intel smart response technology acceleration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just bought a new computer with a 2TO SATA disk with Windows 8 on it and a 32gb SSD drive. With the Intel utility that came installed, there is a possibily to use the SSD drive as cache to accelerate your main hard drive. However, when I go to the acceleration tab, it prompts me for which SSD I want to use (I only have one), ask me how much of it I want to use for caching (the whole thing), ask which physical disk I want to accelerate (C:), and asks which mode to enable (I've tried both).

Every time it pops up an error and says that an unexpected error has occured while tryign to enable acceleration and to restart my computer and try again. I've tried again and again, and get the same error every single time

I updated the firmware on the SSD, ensured that I had the latest iSRT installed, as well as checked my bios settings.

Please help, I have looked all over online and haven't found any clues.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Anyone ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I will be trying to set up such a system next week, so I have been doing some research. There are several requirements to use Smart Response. Have you complied with those, like have RAID set in the SATA controller?

Just a note, if you are not currently using RAID, I certainly would not advise changing it, you might loose your system.

The requirements seem to require a 77 chipset of certain types although a video seems to suggest a Z68 would work.

You say the IRST shows 2 SSDs. Was it partitioned previously, and the partition needs to be as large as your installed memory amount.

Next week I may have better guidance. Right now I am still trying to see if there is any difference between Smart Response and Rapid Start.

Edit: I do have a Bios option to enable Intel Rapid Start...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I am using RAID in my Bios.

I looked at the characteristics of my motherboard and Smart Response is compatible with it.

IRST shows 1 SSD, not 2.

I have 16GB of memory installed, the disk is 32GB. That's the way my computer came from factory.

From what I read, Rapid Start and Smart Response is 2 differents things. Rapid Start will accelerate your boot time, but thats it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree about the Smart and Rapid differences.

The Rapid Storage utility has quite a bit of info in the help section, including a troubleshooting area.

Do the drives look normal in Disk Management? Do you have any reason to believe the SSD is defective?

If no one else responds, I will be back after I get my system set up...if I can get it set up..