cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venerable Intel G2 SSDs To Be Discontinued.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It seems the clock is ticking down on the Intel X-25 M and V G2 series of SSDs, with the final shipments in Q4 2011. Check it out here:

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/419a34bf-f6e0-4c64-b856-784d90bd00f9/PCN110606-00.pdf http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/419a34bf-f6e0-4c64-b856-784d90bd00f9/PCN110606-00.pdf

While time and products march on, I'll always be fond of my G2's, my first SSDs which have served me very well, and still do. I certainly don't see this as a potential issue for G2 owners, as warranty replacements will likely be from the new series if G2's are not available.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the info. I have one of the serise 6 chipsets. I have a batch file that measures restart time - the time to shut down, post and come to the desktop. I first tried it with my X25-M boot drive and it was 28 seconds. I disabled the Marvel controller and it went down to 23 seconds. I have so far been able to leave Marvel disabled but I am sure the time will come that I will need it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Relic, You're welcome. Those are some quick restart times, thanks to the SSD for the most part I'd say. On one PC I have with the Marvel 9120 chipset, during POST I can see the Marvell boot messages (set in UEFI to do so) which takes a few seconds, disabling the Marvell chipset saves that time as you have seen.

It's not my intent to pronounce the Marvell SATA interface as not worthy of use, but to simply (hopefully) describe the realities of it's functioning as they are. I have not used it extensively, but when I have they've worked very well. I should say that is with the new AHCI driver and not in a RAID set. I have it connected to an eSATA port on a PC, using an external HDD case with a standard internal HDD. Works just fine, fast, no glitches. I see people in forums jumping on the hate Marvell band-wagon when someone complains about it, which I do not want to instigate. Experiment with your's sometime, and see if your mother board manufacture has posted the Beta AHCI driver on the download page for your board, I've seen zero complaints when using that driver.