cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 160GB Variances - Clarification needed

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, can anyone clarify the variances on the 160GB units available? I'm trying desperately to understand the differences between the product codes and the 2 apparent choices of 50nm and 34nm?

Typically I've jumped in with both feet and attempted to order two exact units from one supplier with the aim of using the units as raid 0 on an XPS730X Dell desktop. Unfortunately, only one was in stock, (product code on box SSDSA2MH160G2R5, product code on the unit itself SSDSA2M160G2GC which I don't understand for starters) so the last thing I want to do is source another from a different supplier only to find that incompatiblities exist because of the yet to be understood variances. Can anyone advise?

I'm already having trouble finding another source for these which is a minor irritation compared to not knowing, when found, if I'm going to ultimately end up with two unusable ssd's that aren't compatible in raid 0 configuration.

Thanks for reading

2 REPLIES 2

VPent
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi stv,

...G2R5 is the retail package, with Intel label and logo, instruction CD, 3.5 to 2.5 in. adaptor and manual.

...G2C1 is the "OEM" package, in a plain box and without the CD, adaptor or manual (but with an Installation Guide).

...G2GC, i suppose, is the SSD itself, wich is the same for both packages. At newegg there is a US$ 30,00 plus for the retail price compared to OEM.

So, it is exactly the same SSD in different presentations and you can use one piece of each to make a raid 0 configuration.

By the way, G1 and G2 are the first Generation (50 nm, no TRIM support) and second Generation (34 nm, TRIM support in W7) of Intel SSD's; G2 is the SSD of very preference in a buy.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you valdir....that explanation has helped a lot!

Now all I need to do is find another one....easier said than done