cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Losing data on power switching not a pleasant thing. I'd like to know? if it's a hardware or firware? If it's only a matter of firmware update I'll buy it.

Yang_Z_Intel
New Contributor
I've had my 160GB Intel 320 series SSD in my ThinkPad T420s (Win7 x64) for some time now and I've had to force shutdown by holding down the power button 10-20 times without ever seeing this issue. Nonetheless I'll probably go and backup all my data now...Funnilly I have two more of these drives sitting right next to me that I planned to use in my next desktop build....hopefully everything is all patched up by then...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK Intel I just got my replacement drive from you.

Do I use it? Is there a chance that the crash will happen again? I really lost quite a bit of time and effort on the first crash since this is on my work laptop so I really can't afford for it to happen again.

Please let us know if this will be a destructive firmware update fix or not.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

320 120GB in a ThinkPad Edge 13. Worked fine for three weeks.

This week: Normal shutdown. BAM! 8 MB.

Is all my data now really gone?

I'm so very disappointed. Bought a 320 because of their additional security features and because the 5 year warranty seemed promising. I, as a Intel-fan since 2006, buying Intel shit wherever they were offering it, am very deeply disappointed...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel needs to come up with an announcement of when a fix will be ready plus any other appropriate details ASAP!

Just having some rumored "Oh ya we are aware of it." is really irresponsible.

Luckily my old reliable Hitachi 7200 RPM is working just fine albeit a little slow.