cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 160Gb ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have just put the SSD in the computer a Gateway FX6801, formatted the drive, and with the cloning software supplied with the SSD I transfered the Win7 installation from the original Hatachi hard drive to the SSD. The bios is set to AHIC, the computer boots from the SSD and everything works fine. The load time hasn't improved, 1 min 20 sec which I feel is long and the main reason I changed to SSD. The Win 7 performance for the drive is 5.9 which is the same as the original Hatachi drive. I'd posted this at another forum I am a member of and two replies I recieved were I should Install Win 7 rather than clone. The recovery software for the computer will only install on the original hard drive so I'd have to buy Win 7 and then try to install the drivers that want to install on the Hatachi drive. Also I am not sure what firmware the disk has, pretty sure I saw it some where in the computer but I can't find it again.

Carl2

44 REPLIES 44

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

To turn off System Restore, click Start button and in the search bar type in system restore, click on System Restore and follow instructions. Are you asking about System Restore? When you asked about backup, I assumed you meant System Restore. The back up or restore is configured in the control panel under Back up your computer--but that is different than System Restore, which uses space on your SSD. Another thing that uses space is Hibernation. I don't need it because I have a UPS, so if there is a loss of electricity my UPS runs on battery.

To turn off indexing, click on Start, click Computer, right-click on the SSD and select Properties, then uncheck the drive for indexing.

You can search the web for BIOS terminology. In the future, consider building your own computer, or at least researching parts needed and buy them and have someone put it all together for you. There are quite a few computer forums where you can get help selecting the parts needed for your build.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had built three or four computers in the past, in the P4 days with win XP. Thought of building but the price of the Gateway was unbelievable, couldn't build a computer with a 950 for anywhere near the price. Usualy a disk comes with the device and it installs automaticaly. I'm not sure why Intel is offering the cloning software if you get such poor results.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I doubt building a computer would be more expensive. Knowing Gateway, I am not surprised at your dilemma. If you had built your own computer, selecting the parts as desired, you would not only have a manual that includes BIOS explanations, but would have a better computer! Anyway, that is off-topic here.

I still don't know why you need two drives with same OS. Why don't you just do a fresh Windows 7 install on the SSD? You can use the Hitachi for backing up data, music, pictures, etc.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a friend, he uses the Mac's, he also has a low opinion of the Gateways. I prefer the HP computers but at the time they were having a problem with the motherboard. After purchasing my thoughts were if worst comes to worst put in a new motherboard. The computer was purchased shortly after the release of Win7 and came with Vista and a free upgrade to Win 7 from newegg. I'm using a Asus at this time, my internet computer, it easily dose the job at half the price.

Really shouldn't need 2 drives with 2 OS's, but for making changes of drivers ect. it makes me feel more secure, any problems boot into the second drive. Once things are finally set up it would be nice to have a restore on another drive.

At this time the SSD has a new install of Win 7, still wating for the ordered Win 7 to be delivered but tried the Win 7 upgrade to restore windows, it failed to do that but it was able to install Win 7 and boots. As mentioned the load time is less than half, the WIE is 7.8 and the toolbox works with it. Still waiting to reclaim the 10 Gb where the MBR had been on the SSD.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe once you get that Windows 7 and install it on a clean SSD you should be fine. Let Windows 7 install the default AHCI driver and you should be good to go.

Of course, installing the SSD Toolbox is a good idea as well.