cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 160Gb ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have just put the SSD in the computer a Gateway FX6801, formatted the drive, and with the cloning software supplied with the SSD I transfered the Win7 installation from the original Hatachi hard drive to the SSD. The bios is set to AHIC, the computer boots from the SSD and everything works fine. The load time hasn't improved, 1 min 20 sec which I feel is long and the main reason I changed to SSD. The Win 7 performance for the drive is 5.9 which is the same as the original Hatachi drive. I'd posted this at another forum I am a member of and two replies I recieved were I should Install Win 7 rather than clone. The recovery software for the computer will only install on the original hard drive so I'd have to buy Win 7 and then try to install the drivers that want to install on the Hatachi drive. Also I am not sure what firmware the disk has, pretty sure I saw it some where in the computer but I can't find it again.

Carl2

44 REPLIES 44

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The drives and ports are: Hatachi Port 0, DVD port 1, SSD port 5. The correct way is to open the computer and make the changes which is why I ordered the cable. I tried to change the drive letter of the Hatachi so I could change the drive letter of the SSD to C. In the process during a restart, the preparing desktop message appeared then I had a light blue screen This copy of windows is not genuine.

I can change the boot to the Hatachi drive and access the SSD.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, we really shouldn't be talking about an OS that is not genuine.

Your DVD drive should be further away from the other drives; for example, SSD in port 0 and Hitachi in port 1 or 2 and DVD in port 5.

Why do you need two drives with same OS?

Do you have Disk Defragmenter disabled or turned off for your SSD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree, I'd like to make the SSD port0, The hatachi port 1 and the dvd port 5, wating for the cable to be delivered. I played with the recovery disk for Win 7 and found it could load Win 7, frist I tried to repair the drive, unsucessful so I formatted the disk and did an install. I installed some drivers, not happy with the video card setup but it works. Anyways I ran the WIE and everything looks good, the Hard disk got an 7.8, boot time is 41 sec.

I am pretty sure everything is under the Intel controller which is using the Iastor.sys driver. I just used the Toolbox that is in the SSD now. It ran okay but it shouldn't run under the raid driver. I'll check into this more later.

I tried to make a post earlier in the day, this website is very slow on my computer.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You didn't answer my question about the Disk Defragmenter. If you don't have it disabled or turned off for the SSD, you will cause excessive wear of the drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry, yes the disk defragmenter is turned off. I want to turn off indexing and backup also. Not sure how to turn off indexing, I can locate the index to a different drive. I believe this is what I had done in the past, also saved some notes on the other hard drive. This may have caused the problem of the not genuine windows while trying to change the drive letter. Concerned about the partition that was made when I cloned the SSD, The information is removed but I've lost 10 Gb of space. Also I do not have the manual for the motherboard, not supplied.

Carl2