cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTEL, Where is our G1 TRIM support? Please answer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel,

Will you be providing G1 TRIM support in a future firmware upgrade for your early SSD adopters? Please give a yes or no answer.

Thank you,

Robert

Austin TX

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What I posted above is relevant, whether you like it or not, and I will repeat it here again. However, don't expect another reply from me to you here as your only purpose is to complain about buying something that is obsolete in terms of support. Instead of complaining here, write to Intel, write to your congressman, write to the President, and keep on writing and see if that changes anything.

When you buy the first phase of new technology, you have to accept the shortcomings that ensue. When they come out with G3 drives and if there is something that makes whatever work better for those drives compared to my G2 SSD, I accept the end result. Technology advances and if you want the latest and best, you buy the latest and best.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So basically now you're posting to re-hash what you originally posted, and what was already posted by other people on the first and second pages of this thread. Way to troll. I guess I should do the same thing? Once again, these products are still supported and there is no reason (that I or anyone else who actually knows what TRIM is and how it works) that it can not be implemented on the gen1 drives via a firmware update. Once again, It has nothing to do with "technology advances" (you keep saying that, ignorance!)...there are other drives from other mfg's that have been updated to support TRIM, and it's not like Intel didn't know about TRIM when the G1 drives came out. Now if we could only get you to stop trolling and them to update the firmware , just like Corsair, Crucial, G Skill, Super Talent, OCZ did with their first generation products. Yes yes, early adopters and technology advances and all that considered -- I guess your point ONLY applies to INTEL then eh? If so, that's a shame, especially for Intel's customers.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@egrest0x

Apologies for the trouble you are having with your SSD. It is extremely unusual that your X-25M G1 SSD would show stuttering and lag, regardless of the firmware revision. While the performance drop off under the old firmware was noticeable, the response time should not be dramatically affected, especially under a normal workload.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Are you using your MLC X-25M G1 in an enterprise way, like running a 24-8 heavy workload database?

I have used the X-25M G1 for nearly two years, much with older firmware, without large lags or significant stuttering.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nope...single drive has been in a dell laptop (xp-32) for about 8 months...and I upgraded to 8820 when it came out.

Even with the old firmware I did not experience the lags and stutters -- that wasn't until recently.

I told my friend about it and he said to check my free space -- I hadn't noticed but I only had 5 GB left..so I got rid of all the crap I didn't need stored locally and put it on my NAS, and now I am back to 20GB free, but I guess the damage has already been done...It would seem the only solution is to "freshen" up the drive, which I don't have time to do a backup \ restore at the moment. I tried some of the other tweaks I read on OCZ's forums, and one of them seems to help a lot -- MS's SteadyState tool. I've been running that for the past 3 days and it seems to have fixed the lag \ stutters almost entirely, but occaionally I will get a weird benchmark where suddenly the write speed will completely tank for any given transfer size. I have been doing 3-5 bench's per day and I will always get at least one bad one, but this is a MUCH better improvement from before, where they were _all_ bad (thanks to steady state). It just seems wrong that Intel would not update these drives to support TRIM...if it really is not possible (like some people claim -- I still think they're wrong but that's just my opinion due to the research I have done) -- then why not say the exact reasons why? All we got from them are "the generation 1 drives will not be updated" -- makes me think it's all about the money to be honest.