cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow perfomance on intel ssd 2 generation 2 160gb.............

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I dont know where is the problem i have mac book pro 15" custom configuration intel core 2 duo t9900 ,4gb ddr 3 ,nvidia 9400+9600, intel 160gb generation 2 ssd i think my trim is on and i have extremely slow perfomance i also ran intel ssd toolbox i use mac os x 10.6.4 and windows 7 64bit pro.

my scores from as ssd are

please help me improve my ssd performance without formating my ssd my ssd is not so old and i also formated it when i get it in the summer.

29 REPLIES 29

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

its not possble to enter efi this is not a bios

very bad for me...... if some one knows a way pls share with me yes i use intel ssd tool box in my windows not support for mac os x yet but dont help me and i optimize my ssd but still same perfomance. more than 50% free space i have on my ssd i think i will check and tell u .

i have 53gb free space do u think its not enough for system to run propertly ?

may be this is the reason of bad perfomance but i think sata II is the problem here.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You have about a third of the space available, that is not causing your problem.

No way to enter the EFI, yes that is true from what I just read on some Apple/Mac forum.

From what I've read on some of those Apple forums... OMGosh, what hoops those folks jump through in order to do anything not "allowed" by Apple. No wonder you are having difficulty.

On your Windows 7 installation, do you use Bootcamp? Or BIOS emulation? I read also read about these on the Apple forums.

Regarding that update that you didn't have->do have->not working, can you uninstall it and try to install it again to activate SATA II? Since you can't enter the EFI, the update should turn on SATA II mode.

Hmm, ya know, I just looked at the link to your update that redux posted earlier, and on that page there was another link to a more detailed discussion of the update. On that page I found this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: The hard disk in an Intel-based Mac must be formatted with the GUID partition scheme to apply a firmware update. Intel-based iMac computers are shipped this way from the factory. If you have reformatted your hard disk, you should check which scheme your hard disk is currently using before applying a firmware update. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2434 Firmware updates for Intel-based Macs require a GUID partition scheme for more information. If you try to apply the update to a hard disk that utilizes any formatting scheme other than the GUID partition, the update will be unsuccessful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did you format your Intel SSD? With Windows 7? NTFS? From the factory?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

sure i used bootcamp.I dont know how to make bios emulation i think its impossible. My laptop comes factory update with this update i cant downgrade update it again with this update may be with new one but i dont know when they will relaese new update may be never as i said not possible to install reinstall efi. Of course my ssd is formated in guid since i bought it,i personally formated it!

I study it so i am not very stupid

with bootcamp i take some space from my journaled 160gb space and make it ntfs for windows via bootcamp!

Here u can read that i use guid.

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI Link Speed: 3 Gigabit Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC:

Capacity: 160.04 GB (160,041,885,696 bytes)

Model: INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC Revision: 2CV102HD Serial Number: CVPO007101WG160AGN Native Command Queuing: Yes Queue Depth: 32 Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: No BSD Name: disk0 Medium Type: Solid State TRIM Support: No Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table) S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified Volumes:

so right now i have mac os x 10.6.4 with journaled and windows with ntfs but this doesnt matter all type of my partitions is guid!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think you are stupid, just asking since I didn't know if your SSD was in GUID format.

Well, according to the info you just posted, you are in AHCI mode and in SATA II mode at 3Gb/s.

So I have no idea what your problem is. Maybe you should not worry about the benchmark scores and just enjoy your PC.

How does your PC seem to you, better than with a standard hard drive, if you've ever used one with it? Is it slow loading programs, etc? Are the benchmark scores the only thing that is bothering you?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

its not good if u dont use guid in mac book and mac os x . will cause u more problems.

how i can find that i am in ahci in sata II in win 7 too?

sure but when u invest lots of money in something u expect at least to see almost same bencmarks as them .Of course laptop is better cuz lots of things os x loads for about 8 seconds win 7 loads for about 30 seconds very slow is win 7 if u ask me.... ssd are always better than hard drives my other laptop ibm t61 have 7200rpm seagate momentus but its slower than ssd thats normal he can achieve only max 100 read write max. benchmark is not the only when i use higher greedy programs like corel draw adobe photo shop and others and some time my mac book is slow... may be cpu is too slow cuz its core 2 duo only t9900 or may be i need to make secure erase to my ssd but i dont know how to make good restore to my windows and mac os x .I use northon ghost to make mirror copy of my hdd on win and time machine for mac os x but i am not sure if they can handle very well back up.