cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680i help…" error connecting to drive"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I've just installed the new toolbox and hit the latest roadblock. Turns out my 680i motherboard identifies all SATA drives as SCSI, which was pretty common for older motherboard BIOS. It never made any difference to operation or performance until now…the Toolbox will not work with a hard drive identified as SCSI. The Toolbox recognizes the different drives and gives me different choices for the SSD vs. the rotary drives, but all functions are grayed-out.

So I can't use TRIM because the 680i is not AHCI compatible, and I can't use Toolbox to maintain the SSD because it hits a SCSI flag and grays-out (even though it does recognize the SSD).

Has anybody found a way to resolve this? I've looked through pages of Google links and tech support forums and found the issue talked about a lot but not a resolution. Typically the answer is that everyone lives with the SCSI-misidentification because it never made any difference whether Windows declared the drive SATA or SCSI. Until now.

Is anyone else's 680i working with the Toolbox?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wish I could help xeren. The fix solved my problem with the SSD Toolbox and I haven't had any stuttering problems with the generic driver. Hopefully polo may have a suggestion for you to try. Good luck!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry Xeren, I havent had any stuttering problem. I really dont know what might be causing that. Is your BIOS up to date?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hey there,

gona give that a try tonight, asus striker 2 extreme.nf790 chipset

some major bugs with this ssd.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm not able to make SSD toolbox work, because if I change the drivers from nForce to "Standard PCI IDE", Windows 7 (Ultimate 32bit) crashes and I have to rollup to the previous restore point...

I have this chipsets...

North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Revision A2

South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP Revision A2 Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

nForce ata card -- found another solution as of 26-Nov-2012. The latest nForce "serial ATA controller" driver ver 11.1.0.43 for my SLI 650 works correctly. Tool box now can connect to the SSD and works correctly.

(had to go to the nvidia site to get it, win7 would not find it automatically)

driver is dated 4/9/2010

Al