Esteemed Contributor III

UPDATE 10-31-09 @3:20p

I=IDE 

A=AHCI R=RAID

BRAND NEW

III - GOOD=01 BAD=00 AAA - GOOD=02 BAD=00 AIA - GOOD=02 BAD=00

RIR - GOOD=00 BAD=01

INSTALLED (NO REFORMAT/ERASE)

III - GOOD=03 BAD=00 AAA - GOOD=06 BAD=02 AIA - GOOD=05 BAD=04 RAR - GOOD=02 BAD=00 RIR - GOOD=03 BAD=00

REFORMAT/ERASE

AAA - GOOD=01 BAD=00 AIA - GOOD=01 BAD=00 IIA - GOOD=01 BAD=00

Also reworded some of the questions. PLEASE POST ANSWERS ONLY. Thx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys, I think we should take some info of those who updated their g2's. It's really hard to see what's going. I think people should list the stuff on their computer and what was on it before the firmware flash. It might be a lot easier to see a commonality. In my opinon, Intel should have made the flash update a destructive one. Wipe the drive off clean before updating the flash. That way a lot of variables for error is reduced. I have a feeling the trim command is getting some instructions all messed up with a filesystem already present. Yeah i know it's a lot of questions but...

Here' it goes...

1-Bios updated to Latest? (YES or NO)

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? (80 or 160)

3-Was drive BRAND NEW / ERASED (hdd erase/reformat)/ INSTALLED (OS already installed) before update?

4-Is the drive partitioned? (YES or NO)

5-other harddrives installed? (YES or NO)

6-Was drive aligned BEFORE and AFTER update?

7-OS that you have installed or will be installing?

8-If using windows and already installed, what driver is being used before updating firmware? (Intel or MS, AHCI, IDE) if applicable

9-Bios setting before update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc)

during update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc)

after update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc)

10-Did you run the flasher via USB or CD?

11-How many times did you run the flasher? (1x, 2x, 3x)

12-Was there an error when flashing? (YES or NO)

13-After it flashed and the computer rebooted, did you immediately change the settings back to what it was before booting/installing OS? (YES or NO)

14-When booted in Windows did it install a driver? (YES or NO) if applicable

15-What driver did it install?

16-If possible, what driver is being used in Windows after firmware? (Intel or MS, AHCI, IDE)

17-Is the G2 drive bad or working fine? (BAD or GOOD)

List your system specs too and if possible chipset (south bridge chip)

List you SSD manufacturing date.

Anything else you think I missed please say.

***FOR THOSE WITH BAD DRIVES AFTER UPDATE DID YOU TRY TO HDD ERASE AND REINSTALL? If so, did it work again?

***Don't do it if you're not comfortable with it.

Hopefully the information given can help INTEL resolve this issue quicker as it seems to be easier to get information quicker on the forums than individual emails.

53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1-Bios updated to Latest? = Yes

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? = 160 3-Is the drive partitioned? = YES 60/100 (approx) 4-other harddrives installed? = NO 5-What version of 7, x86, x64? = Win 7 X64 6-Was windows 7 Installed already or was it clean? = It was a new and unused G2 drive. 7-Was it aligned before and after update? = N/A - Brand new G2 drive 8-Did you reformat or leave windows on before update? = N/A - Brand new G2 drive 9-Was Intel optimizer installed before or after update? = N/A - Brand new G2 drive 10-If optimizer was Installed BEFORE the update did you run it? = N/A - Brand new G2 drive 11-Bios and windows setting before update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc) = Laptop only has two BIOS options (SATA / AHCI) - I kept the default AHCI setting. 12-Setting during update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc) = AHCI 13-Setting after update? (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc) = AHCI<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; ...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1-Bios updated to Latest? YES

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? 80G

3-Is the drive partitioned? YES

4-other harddrives installed? NO

5-What version of 7, x86, x64? Gentoo Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r4 # 1 SMP PREEMPT

6-Was windows 7 Installed already or was it clean? Gentoo Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r4 INSTALLED 

7-Was it aligned before and after update? what do you mean by "aligned"?

8-Did you reformat or leave windows on before update? fresh install

9-Was Intel optimizer installed before or after update? NO, using linux

10-If optimizer was Installed BEFORE the update did you run it? NO, using linux

11-Bios and windows setting before update? AHCI / libata/ahci compiled into kernel

12-Setting during update? SATA

13-Setting after update? AHCI

14-Did you run the flasher twice before booting or installing Win7? 2x

15-Was there an error when flashing? NO

16-After it flashed and the computer started (Windows was installed before update), did you immediately change the settings back to what it was before booting into windows? YES

17-When booted in Windows 7 did it install a driver? NO, using Linux

18-Is the G2 drive bricked or working fine? BAD

hw specs:

- asus AT3N7A-I

- Corsair XMS2 DHX Series DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-6400U CL4-4-4-12

- LG GH-22NS

sw specs:

- Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r4 # 1 SMP PREEMPT i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

- grub kernel parameter: elevator=noop

- mounting with noatime

partitions:

sda1 -> ext2 (primary)

sda2 -> swap (primary)

sda3 -> ext4 (primary)

sda4 -> ext4 (primary)

notes:

after the fw update i was able to boot normally. but after about 10min. the system didn't respond anymore, altough webservices were still available. i had to do a hard reset. afterwards i recognized the smart error reported by the bios. nevertheless i tried to boot the system. mbr was accessed and grub was trying to access the kernel. so i was able to see the fbsplash but nothing more and a msgs that states the kernel would boot. so obviously the boot partition (ext2) was accessed succesfully, but not / (ext4). after rebooting with a livecd i tried to mount the drive manually. that didn't work, also when specifying the filesystem type. i only got a error message about a wrong superblock etc. so i tried to check partitions with cfdisk. while cfdisk tries to access the drive it puts out a lot of i/o error msgs, but showing the partition table finally. the overview couldn't recognize the fs types of the former ext4 partitions but only the ext2 partition. -> end of the story.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1-Bios updated to Latest? NO, approximately 3-year old BIOS

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? Two 80 GB drives, ICH8 RAID 0 array (128K stripe)

3-Is the drive partitioned? NO

4-other harddrives installed? YES, 4 rotational SATA drives

5-What version of 7, x86, x64? Win 7 Professional x64 RTM

6-Was windows 7 Installed already or was it clean? INSTALLED

7-Was it aligned before and after update? YES

8-Did you reformat or leave windows on before update? INSTALLED

9-Was Intel optimizer installed before or after update? AFTER

10-If optimizer was Installed BEFORE the update did you run it? N/A

11-Bios and windows setting before update? BIOS = RAID, Windows = Intel MSM RAID

12-Setting during update? IDE

13-Setting after update? RAID

14-Did you run the flasher twice before booting or installing Win7? 1x (flashed both drives)

15-Was there an error when flashing? NO

16-After it flashed and the computer started (Windows was installed before update), did you immediately change the settings back to what it was before booting into windows? YES

17-When booted in Windows 7 did it install a driver? NO

18-Is the G2 drive bricked or working fine? Both drives are GOOD

List your system specs too.

Asus P5B Deluxe, BIOS 0910

4 GB memory

Core 2 Duo E6400

I Believe the SDD has Manufacturing date can post it too. Pack dates = 8/15/09 and 9/12/09

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1-Bios updated to Latest? (YES)

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? (160)

3-Is the drive partitioned? (NO)

4-other harddrives installed? (YES)

5-What version of 7, x86, x64? (x64)

6-Was windows 7 Installed already or was it clean? (ALREADY INSTALLED)

7-Was it aligned before and after update? (YES)

8-Did you reformat or leave windows on before update?(LEFT WINDOWS INSTALLED AS-IS)

9-Was Intel optimizer installed before or after update? (AFTER)

10-If optimizer was Installed BEFORE the update did you run it? (N/A)

11-Bios and windows setting before update? (AHCI)

12-Setting during update? (AHCI -- BUT DIDN'T WORK, AND ONLY OTHER OPTIONS IS RAID ... HAD TO TAKE DRIVE TO ANOTHER COMPUTER WITH IDE)

13-Setting after update? (AHCI)

14-Did you run the flasher twice before booting or installing Win7? (2x, but 1st couldn't find drive, 2nd was on other computer where it took)

15-Was there an error when flashing? (NO (SEE ABOVE--SIMPLY COULDN'T FIND DRIVE ON 1ST COMPUTER)

16-After it flashed and the computer started (Windows was installed before update), did you immediately change the settings back to what it was before booting into windows? (N/A)

17-When booted in Windows 7 did it install a driver? (YES, APPARENTLY -- IT SAID IT NEEDED TO RESTART)

18-Is the G2 drive bricked or working fine? (GOOD SO FAR)

Intel i7 920 (Dell XPS-435T, BIOS A13)

6GB RAM

Intel X-25M 160GB & WD Black Caviars

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1-Bios updated to Latest? YES

2-What g2 size 80 or 160g? 160

3-Is the drive partitioned? YES

4-other harddrives installed? YES

5-What version of 7? Win 7 x64 RC build 7100

6-Was windows 7 Installed already or was it clean? Already installed

7-Was it aligned before and after update? After: yes Before: don't know, but I assume yes.

8-Did you reformat or leave windows on before update? Left windows on

9-Was Intel optimizer installed before or after update? After

10-If optimizer was Installed BEFORE the update did you run it? n/a

11-Bios and windows setting before update? Mac Pro - Can't change it

12-Setting during update? Don't know - Mac Pro

13-Setting after update? Don't know - Mac Pro

14-Did you run the flasher twice before booting or installing Win7? 1x

15-Was there an error when flashing? No

16-After it flashed and the computer started (Windows was installed before update), did you immediately change the settings back to what it was before booting into windows? NO

17-When booted in Windows 7 did it install a driver? YES

18-Is the G2 drive bricked or working fine? GOOD

Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Windows 7 RC build 7100 in boot camp, using Snow Leopard's bootcamp drivers